Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Going Public

Something new! (Anybody remember that phrase from Family Dog? You have to say the last word very enticingly: neeeeeew....)

After several workshop participants asked me to post my slides online, I have set up a public page from which you can download files. One of my presentations is up, Growing a Novel, under the file name Grow.pdf. For now, it's just the visuals. I would like to eventually post my speaker notes, and even find a way to simulate the writing exercises we did together. (To me, that was one of the best parts, doing the exercise in Not Knowing and getting all the fantastic comments back about the experience.)

I did enhance the PDF with hyperlinks to various blog posts, since much of my material was originally talked about here at Read*Write*Believe. A side benefit of having a blog, by the way! When you're asked to give 2 hour-and-a-half presentations, you don't have to start from scratch, because many of your images and some of your thoughts are already gathered in a coherent form on your computer.

Other files on the public page include an author photo, a high quality JPG of the book cover for Letters From Rapunzel (along with another JPG of the back of my promotional postcard for it) and two book lists used with my presentations. Please let me know if there's any trouble in downloading any of these.

More about my other workshop, Genre and Voice, tomorrow....

6 comments:

  1. "The Family Dog" is one of my family's all-time favorite shows. We dredge up quotes from the show at least once a year. Our favorite is to recite the story about the wolf and the bunny the little girl tells in the show, "the wolf ate the bunny," "yes it was dead." Another favorite, "Parents" with Randy Quaid. "What's for dinner?" "Leftovers." "Leftovers from what?" "Leftovers to be, son." Sorry. Not really anything to do with your presentation, but I got excited by the "Family Dog" reference.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! That is amazing! I'm so impressed that you did that. I've downloaded them all and can't wait to hunker down and absorb everything. You obviously put a TON of work into that presentation. It shows! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carter, I knew somebody would love that Family Dog reference! I don't think it's even out on DVD or anything, is it?

    Barbara, thanks. It's not as perfect as I'd like it to be, because obviously, there are gaps where I was speaking and leading writing exercises. Perhaps I could add slides to represent what's missing. But you can get the gist of it, and follow the links. Please let me know if you have any ideas or feedback I could use to make things better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've now had a chance to spend more time looking at these and honestly, Sara - I wouldn't change one single thing about it! I think it's fantastic. It's very inspiring. I love your thoughts about expectations and revision. I love that you are so open-hearted (is that a word?) This presentation shows your passion and joy of writing. I just think it's wonderful. (And I'm so impressed that you used the mac homepage to post this stuff!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so cool. Thanks for sharing your presentation material.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so impressed with your techiness, Sara--not to mention with the substance of the things you have to offer! You're brilliant, plain and simple. Carry on.

    ReplyDelete

R-E-S-P-E-C-T (or you will be deleted)

You can receive followup comments to this conversation by checking the "notify me" box below the comment window.