Monday, April 28, 2008

Simple

RealSimple, I'm disappointed in you.

You published an attractive and nicely annotated list of "The Best Blogs" in your March 2008 issue. You covered home, organizing and personal productivity, food, beauty, fashion, health and fitness, parenting and family, news and pop culture, and travel.

But not BOOKS.

Nope, not a single literary blog made the list. And this from a magazine that has done bookshelf makeovers.

You did have a cool quote that went with the story:

"Private opinion creates public opinion." --Jan Struther, A Pocketful of Pebbles

Well, my private opinion is that you messed up. And I'm going public with it.

On the other hand---and this almost redeems you in my eyes---your featured quote for the month of May is from Madeleine L'Engle:

"The greatest thing about getting older is that you don't lose all the other ages you've been." (as quoted in the New York Times on April 25, 1985)
So come on, RealSimple, if you want your readers with children or teenagers to get the most out of blogs and the Internet, you should feature:

7-Impossible Things Before Breakfast (Picture Book Tips for Impossibly Busy Parents or Slightly Demented Picture Books if you're daring)

or Jen Robinson's Growing Bookworms Newsletter,

or PlanetEsme's Yearly Index of Best Books,

or the launch of Guy Lit Wire in June.

It's simple; it really is.

5 comments:

  1. Thanks, Sara! You brightened my day immensely, especially at a time when I've been quietly lamenting not having more time to work on that newsletter. Hopefully my life will get back to whatever normal is soon. Anyway, I love the Madeleine L'Engle quote, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the quote, too! And I agree with your choices. Nice post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're welcome, Jen. Your newsletter deserves wide press!

    HWM, I should add readergirlz to that list, too. I love what you all are doing...positive social networking around books. So awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks! You brightened my day, too.

    And to the whole post, I say damn skippy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay! Glad you featured GuysLitWire (reminds me I still have some work to do on the design...) :)

    ReplyDelete

R-E-S-P-E-C-T (or you will be deleted)

You can receive followup comments to this conversation by checking the "notify me" box below the comment window.