Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Poetry quote of the Day: Favorite Poem Project

Today's quote comes from a young reader of poetry, responding to the E.E. Cummings poem,"somewhere I have never travelled, gladly beyond."

"I have read this poem so many times that the spine of the book is broken and always turns to its page. Today I gave that book away to the first person that I have ever truly and sincerely loved. I gave her the book because there is no gift I could give her that would be more honest. This poem has shaped who I am. It has been a long journey, but Cummings's poem set my heart on a course to find love, and I have arrived, only to truly understand the poem for the first time."

---Scott Nesbit, 18  (as quoted in Poems to Read, an anthology for the Favorite Poem Project.)


This post is part of my Poetry Quote a Day series for National Poetry Month.

5 comments:

  1. Aww. He's eighteen! And he reads poetry!!

    your slightest look easily will unclose me...

    *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sigh. This is so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's just the sort of thing to show people who get cranky about young people.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope she knows how lucky she is.

    And word to what Adrienne said.

    ReplyDelete

R-E-S-P-E-C-T (or you will be deleted)

You can receive followup comments to this conversation by checking the "notify me" box below the comment window.