Friday, March 26, 2010

Poetry Friday: In the Library

In honor of the library-loving blog challenge going on this week at writerjenn's and countless other blogs, I'm posting this lovely poem by Charles Simic:


In the Library

There's a book called
"A Dictionary of Angels."
No one has opened it in fifty years,
I know, because when I did,
The covers creaked, the pages
Crumbled. There I discovered

The angels were once as plentiful
As species of flies.
The sky at dusk
Used to be thick with them.
You had to wave both arms
Just to keep them away.

The rest is here.


Poetry Friday is hosted by poet Julie Larios at The Drift Record.

And don't forget to visit the blogs participating in the library-loving challenge. All you have to do is comment; the bloggers are the ones donating! Angels are plentiful...

9 comments:

  1. Lovely poem! I've been heartened by the outpouring of support from FCPL users :).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the poem, Sara.

    "Angels can fly because they can take themselves lightly." -- Chesterton

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this. I also love what everone is doing to support public libraries.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love when I come upon a poem on Poetry Friday that I haven't read in years, and it has both the thrill of sounding fresh with a faint tint of memory. Thank you for posting this wonderful poem!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad you posted this. I have always loved the lines "Angels and gods huddled / In dark unopened books," and I haven't read this in so long. Beautiful.

    Angels are, indeed, plentiful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely! Great inspiration for me on a Friday afternoon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Angels ARE plentiful. Sometimes all we need to do is unfold our wings...

    ReplyDelete
  8. As a writer, not a librarian (but a fan!), I wanted to mention that apparently there's a new book out by Alberto Manguel called The Library At Night.

    Looks interesting and I may go pass on this info in a few other places.

    ReplyDelete

R-E-S-P-E-C-T (or you will be deleted)

You can receive followup comments to this conversation by checking the "notify me" box below the comment window.