Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Poetry Quote of the Day: Billy Collins

 "I try to presume that no one is interested in me." ---poet Billy Collins, as interviewed by Joel Whitney at poets.org 

Ha! Now I know why I love Collins's work so much. The whole interview is wonderful.

I do believe poetry should point to something outside yourself. As should all works of art. Even blog posts.

Which is why I'm sending you to GuysLitWire today. They are rocking the world and "Making a Difference, One Book at a Time - the Guys Lit Wire & Operation Teen Book Drop Event for Navajo & Apache Teens"

I defy you to find a better way live out Billy Collins words than to be interested in someone else today.

This post is part of a month-long celebration of not-quite-daily quotes about poets, poems, and poetry. For more quotes, see the archive of the Poetry Quote of the Day. There are many more National Poetry Month celebrations across the Kidlitosphere.

6 comments:

  1. Love Billy Collins...and he will be HERE at Western Kentucky University next Tuesday night. Need I say that I will be THERE, raptly attentive in the audience?

    Thanks for the good work you do on this blog!

    Portia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the link. LOVE Billy Collins :)!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm embarrassed to say that I'm not all that familiar with Billy Collins, but I loved his interview. If you wouldn't mind suggesting an introductory volume of his poetry, I'd appreciate the recommendation...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Melodye, try something from his earlier work, like Picnic, Lightning and something later, like Ballistics or The Trouble with Poetry. You really can't go wrong!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the quote and love what GLW is doing for those schools! Fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the quote, and I should just go ahead and get an "I love Billy Collins" tattoo.

    ReplyDelete

R-E-S-P-E-C-T (or you will be deleted)

You can receive followup comments to this conversation by checking the "notify me" box below the comment window.