Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Poetry Quote of the Day: Thomas Hardy

"My opinion is that a poet should express the emotion of all the ages and the thought of his own."----Thomas Hardy, as quoted in Walking on Alligators, A Book of Meditations for Writers.
Walking on Alligators is filled with quotes like this, and daily intentions such as "Today, I'll release something surprising into my writing."  It would be a great book to take along on a retreat, which I mention because Linda Urban is compiling a list of such books.  Won't that be a handy resource? Go add your own favorites.

This post is part of a month-long celebration of not-quite-daily quotes about poets, poems, and poetry. For more quotes, see the archive of the Poetry Quote of the Day. There are many more National Poetry Month celebrations across the Kidlitosphere.

2 comments:

  1. Phenomenal.

    I like that daily intention about surprise, too - I love it when surprises turn up in my poems. And will work on adding more. (It's kind of akin to the Elmore Leonard advice to have a man with a gun burst in if you get stuck, in a way - only not.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Thomas Hardy something fierce.

    ReplyDelete

R-E-S-P-E-C-T (or you will be deleted)

You can receive followup comments to this conversation by checking the "notify me" box below the comment window.