Friday, October 7, 2011

Poetry Friday: Jar of Pens

Mine aren't in a honey crock, but a Mason jar. But they are just as mute and expectant.




Jar of Pens
by Robert Pinsky

Sometimes the sight of them
Huddled in their cylindrical formation
Repels me: humble, erect,
Mute and expectant in their
Rinsed-out honey crock: my quiver
Of detached stingers. (Or, a bouquet
Of lies and intentions unspent.)

Pilots, drones, workers—the Queen is
Cross. Upright lodge
Of the toilworthy—gathered
At attention as though they know
All the ink in the world couldn't
Cover the first syllable
Of a heart's confusion.

This fat fountain pen wishes
In its elastic heart

the rest of the poem is here.

There's also an audio link, if you'd like to hear Pinsky's voice.

Pinsky did an extended reading of his poems at the Folger Shakespeare Library on Tuesday, and as I said earlier this week, he claims we can find in any one thing----a jar of pens, a shirt, a Plexiglass lectern---a portal to the whole world.  Jar of Pens is from a series of poems he wrote in which he had to take as his topic the first object he touched...and then the next object...and then the next...



It has made me aware, ever since, of the weight, history, and possibility of each thing in my life.






Poetry Friday is hosted today by Mary Ann at Great Kids Books.


12 comments:

  1. Gorgeous, Sara. Really. What an amazing project Pinsky gave himself. I haven't been to the Folger yet, but it is on my list of things to do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful poem. I agree with Tabatha -- this is an amazing subject for a collection. I love the imagined character he creates, then follows in this poem.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pinsky and the Folger - a double treat. I, too, am intrigued by the project and now must get a copy of this volume of poetry.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, this is so cool. I was just thinking about surfaces as ways into poems. I have to get this book. Thanks, Sara, and it's wonderful to read about the joys found in your new home city.

    I've got my pens in an old blue clay cup given by a friend from childhood, now sadly gone. But with me in that cup and beyond.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this, Sara. Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I tried to read this aloud, giving it my best Robert Pinsky impression, but I didn't do it justice. He's got a little growl to his voice -- an affectionate rasp -- that I don't have. He enunciates his lines in a way that always make me rethink a poem I've only read on paper.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely. I must find that book. I adore your photo of your jar of pens too. I have so many of those!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the photos and the beautiful book cover. And your reflections about "the weight, history, and possibility of each thing in my life."

    Makes one think, really. :) Thank you for sharing this. Now I have another poet to look out for.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love these lines:

    At attention as though they know
    All the ink in the world couldn't
    Cover the first syllable
    Of a heart's confusion.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Superb poem. So many great lines. The collection looks fascinating. *adds to wish list*

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow. The story of that illiterate father buried in the middle of this jar of pens poem. Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the idea of that microcosm. There is just so much stuffed into that poem about pens--story, history, language...I'm off to put this collection on reserve. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

R-E-S-P-E-C-T (or you will be deleted)

You can receive followup comments to this conversation by checking the "notify me" box below the comment window.