Saturday, April 7, 2012

April is Poetry #6

One of our favorite Saturday rituals is walking with the dog to Peregrine Coffee, near Eastern Market.  When I go inside the shop, the dog, leashed outside with my husband, lets loose howls that no one wants to hear that early in the morning. She is happier when it's me, waiting on the bench, while my husband buys a mocha, a pour-through for himself, and usually, a bag of freshly-roasted beans.  We are spoiled.

On the way home, we buy a Street Sense newspaper from the Cat in the Hat guy, who cheerfully hawks his own story "on page 8."  I remember that I have promised to write, too, even on Saturdays.

So.



Saturday morning
peppered bacon; walnut toast
coffee beans rattle

5 comments:

  1. Ritual. So important. So necessary. So comforting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmmmmm. What a lovely ritual!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree Mary Lee, ritual is so important. Sarah, love the last line.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What Mary Lee said. I was just thinking recently how my rituals have faded away over the years and how I need to find new ones. I need them to ground me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How I love that your rituals include walking and community. I can't wait 'til I have my own sense of this again...

    ReplyDelete

R-E-S-P-E-C-T (or you will be deleted)

You can receive followup comments to this conversation by checking the "notify me" box below the comment window.